Saturday, May 14, 2016

Hey all, the Sunday school lesson for tomorrow comes from Luke 18:9-14. It's titled, "Humble Faith". It's a very short but powerful set of scriptures, verse 9 starts off with: "To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'
13 "But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'
14 "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

Today this is a struggle some of us often deal with. Jesus is telling us to not be over confident in our own ability and righteousness; but to be humble. Again verse 14 says "for all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." at times we fall into the temptation of having an attitude of self righteousness, thinking we are higher or better than others; relying on self. The truth is, we need God, and if we don't adapt the attitude of humility, the Bible says He will do it for us. There's been several accounts where I knew God humbled me; as I look back I see now that it would have been wise for me to have trusted God and not my own ability.

To God be the glory, thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Great lesson tonight. This reminds me that children have such big imaginations and believe that anything is possible , and as Christians we should have that same kind of Faith in God . I also realize that new believers are like the parents and children they want to be close to Christ but sometimes we as Christians can turn them away with our self righteous behavior and judgment , but we should be like Jesus in this text and welcome them with open arms.this lesson has taught me a lot !!

    ReplyDelete